Migraines constitute one of the most common chronic conditions that people everywhere go through. They can occur due to a variety of reasons, and often the first reaction is to pop an over-the-counter pill. What most people don’t realize, however, is that these pills and painkillers can cause harm if used repeatedly in the long run.
Ayurveda focuses on prevention, rather than on curing the symptoms. Here are 7 remedies/fixes for migraines that you can find right in your kitchen. They are perfectly natural and side effect-free.
- Lemon paste: Take 5 lemons and remove their peels. Grind them properly and make a paste of them. Add a little water if needed. Apply this paste on your forehead for 5-10 minutes.
- Increase your magnesium intake: A study found that taking daily magnesium supplements reduced migraine frequency by nearly 42 percent. This is because a magnesium deficiency can trigger migraines. Take care of your diet and add magnesium-rich foods to it, such as soyabeans, spinach, sesame seeds, black beans and quinoa.
- Use Pankajakasthuri Mygrane Oil: A remedy that is 100% natural and proven effective as a permanent solution to migraines is Pankajakasthuri’s Mygrane Oil. Apply it on the scalp daily for about 15 minutes for desired results. It is completely side effect-free and is a herbal formulation based on Ayurvedic principles. Click here to order online.
- Have flaxseeds: Migraines are often caused by inflammation. Flaxseeds are a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for their inflammation-reducing properties. You can either use flaxseed oil for cooking or just consume the seeds, which are easily available in all major shops and supermarkets.
- Smell peppermint oil: Peppermint essential oil is known for its ability to alleviate tension headaches. It enhances blood flow in the body and also opens up the sinuses so that more oxygen can be taken in. Take peppermint essential oil and use a reed diffuser to inhale the fragrance or sprinkle a few drops into your pillow case before you sleep for maximum benefits.
- Ginger tea: Ginger is known for curing stomach aches, nausea and also headaches. A hot cup of ginger tea can refresh you and gradually reduce any pain you may face due to migraines. Steep the ginger and the tea leaves well when you prepare this tea to get the flavour and derive maximum benefit.
- Body massage: A full body massage with natural oils like Bhringaraj helps increase blood flow in the body. Migraines and headaches are often caused due to poor blood circulation. This is very common today with our sedentary lifestyles that don’t let us move around much. Do a full-body self-massage to relieve aches and pains everywhere and ease migraine pains.
- Carrot & Spinach juice: Grate carrot and grind it in a blender. Take a few spinach leaves, wash them thoroughly and make spinach juice in the same way. Mix half a glass each of carrot and spinach juice and drink it. This will help in reducing the pain caused by migraines.
These are some of the easiest home remedies and preventive measures one can take. They are based on the ancient principles of Ayurveda and are much more beneficial for health than over-the-counter medication.